Thread: Chump Car Landspeeder is ready for TMS

HTown-DSM.com Member Lurker Suprane1's Avatar

Chump Car Landspeeder is ready for TMS

I think we have worked out all the bugs and got the Car Wars Landspeeder ready to take on the big oval bank of Texas Motor Speedway. This is the car I picked up for $50 and of coarse was built for less than $500 minus the safety equipment.

Notice the blue flames from the rocket motors on the tail, and the special contraption on the exhaust manifold to stop the turbo bolts from backing out while road racing.

I have also put together a gauge cluster with a huge idiot light that comes on when there is low oil pressure or a high coolant temp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

F.I.S.T. Racing I Am Half Human, Half HTown-DSM.com Black Majik's Avatar
    OMG I love it. I want some rocket boosters for my daily.

I also find it amusing that all of your Lemons DSMs look nicer than my daily
    ‎"many conservatives are liberals who have been mugged by reality"

I didn't spray you. Super Saiyan Post Whore laser_racer's Avatar
    I think you could use some more gauges in that beast lol. I got one for the a piller just laying around you could add and maybe stick a clock in it or sometihng lol. When is the next race?

Talon Chump car finishes race

Just got back last night from TMS. Our Eagle Talon was a top three fastest car. We would hit almost 140 on the front stretch. Here are some videos of the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myYdQjqt9m0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6ksMqXywP8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx_UEQrY0I8

When running at high speed we found the Talon to be very thirsty, it would use up 15 gallons of fuel in about an hour, we were the first car to have to pit for fuel, so we slowed it down a bit after that and could stretch to about an hour and twenty minutes. Our car become wounded at 10pm and only 9 hours of racing, this is a 24 hour race. The transmission developed a sever shudder when going around the long flat corners and later the turbo shaft bent locking up the turbo. We spent the next 4 hours locating a turbo (its midnight at this point, you try finding a turbo at midnight in a town your not from!) and getting it back installed. Because this was an endurance race I had given instructions to my drivers to shift between 5500 and 6000 rpms to save the engine and transmission. Later it was found out that one of our drivers had decided that he did not need to use 5th gear and that the car was going down the front stretch and the flat corners of 1-2 of TMS in 4th gear at over 7000 rpms for good 30 seconds every lap for over an hour. I am pretty sure this is what did us in!

F.I.S.T. Racing I Am Half Human, Half HTown-DSM.com Black Majik's Avatar
    That really suck, did he give you an excuse why he didn't listen to you?

Good job over all though. Did I read that video correctly, even with loosing a turbo and having to find a new one, you still finished 3rd?
    ‎"many conservatives are liberals who have been mugged by reality"

Looks like y'all did really well how did that special turbo bolt holder do when replacing the turbo??? Looked pretty strong hope that didn't hold y'all up. What cars beat y'all anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
    That really suck, did he give you an excuse why he didn't listen to you?

Good job over all though. Did I read that video correctly, even with loosing a turbo and having to find a new one, you still finished 3rd?
    No, not quite third. One of our drivers kids (Jay) decided he would figure out what place we were in by finding the leader and just counting the next cars he saw on the track until he found ours. At the time he counted out 9 cars told us we were in 9th. They tried to explain to him that it did not work that way, that some cars were lapped. Right after that one of our crew walks up from the scoring station and says were in 9th place. Jay knowingly said "See. I told you."

I think we ended up 19th, we just lost too many hours in the pits...

As far as the driver, I think he overheard another team that had lost 5th gear on an RX7 and they were justifying that they did not need to use 5th gear because its a weak link, and because its overdrive it would create more heat, and blah, blah, blah. But they could say what ever they wanted because they did not have 5th gear and a Rotary engine can wind past 8000 and even 9000 and not hurt it. But because of all the justifying they did he seemed to think he was doing us a favor by not shifting into that evil 5th gear.
    Last edited by Suprane1; 06-21-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: more detail

Quote Originally Posted by laser_racer View Post
    Looks like y'all did really well how did that special turbo bolt holder do when replacing the turbo??? Looked pretty strong hope that didn't hold y'all up. What cars beat y'all anyways?
    We just split the center section to save time and the hassle of messing with the bolt holder. That bolt holder definitely did its job along with the bracket from the block to exhaust pipe underneath. Its the first race we have done where our bolts had not backed out. Its ugly, but it works!!

I think you could use some more gauges in that beast lol. I got one for the a piller just laying around you could add and maybe stick a clock in it or sometihng lol. When is the next race?
    There for a minute I considered putting redundant gauges on the pillar so that you could see the gauge while going through a left turn, especially Since Texas Motor Speedway is mostly left turns. But I decided I was the only driver that actually looked at the gauges, so I just put a huge Idiot Light in the car that comes on if it gets hot or oil pressure drops

At least you tried to idoit proof the car maybe you could have a auto that shifted no matter what you do lol. Whens the next race again?

HTown-DSM.com Member Post Junkie
    Next, time you guys are in Dallas for a race or out of town in general you guys need to post on the local board so you can have support from the locals for parts. I was doing a week end at MSR Cressen and my car broke. Radiator I think. no one had one in stock so we posted on the DFW dsm board and 2 or three popped up in the middle of the night. I ended installing it about 2 am.

Congrats on doing so well. I hope you guys make the next race. 5th Gear is a life saver for our cars on the long straights.

Ciro

Upcoming races

At least you tried to idoit proof the car maybe you could have a auto that shifted no matter what you do lol. Whens the next race again?

Next races for us will be

for Chump Cars

13-14 November 2010
    Harris Hill Road (San Marcos, TX)
    Entry Deadline: 13 August 2010
    Double-7 Enduros! NOTE – This event is limited to 75 cars! Make sure you come up with a great theme or innovative engineering concept! Limited spots!

For Lemons

Race Weekend: 11-12 September 2010
    Entry Deadline: 3 July 2010
    Late Entries: Considered case-by-case, space permitting
    Track: MSR Houston, Angleton TX
    Spectators: $20/day or $30/weekend all-access pit passes, available at gate

My Blue Talon has just been given a $50 residual value by the Lemon's staff, which means I have $450 to play with ad on's to the car.