Thread: My First Drag Race - post yours...

HTown-DSM.com Member Street Racer lilbacinboy's Avatar

Thumbs up My First Drag Race - post yours...

Just bored in a frozen tundra of northern alberta canada, so i was recalling my first legal drag race and decided to share it.

I was 18, had a 1991 twin turbo 300zx, bigger turbo's, built motor, the works... my buddy and i were hanging out with a local car crew that i dont even remember the name of, i think it was team unleashed or something... mostly honda's so i never really joined (not my scene). We were all going to HMP that night, i had never been to an actual real legal drag race, so i looked online real quick to learn what to expect and found a great article explaining reaction times and staging and everything a newbie should know, then headed out to the track. we wait in line for about 2 hours as honda after honda make high revving passes in the 14 second range (it's an 1/8 mile track of course). I can still recall the nail on chalkboard feeling i got every pass i had to listen to. Anyways, i finally get to the line to make my first pass of all time, and my only pass of the night. I was totally focused on the staging and the tree and not looking like a complete moron that i didn't notice what i was running against... i look over and a guy wearing a helmet in a foxbody mustang loping so hard my rearview mirror was buzzing looks over at me and asks if i want to race him. i said might as well, it's my first time. he asked if mine was twin turbo, i said no... if he was too dumb that he can't read or didn't know what to look for, i dodn't want to explain it. He said he hated to make me lose my first race, laughed, and went to the staging area... I didn't care what he said, just totally focused on the burnout. I had read that z rated tires don't need to be burned to the wire, just cleaned off, so i did a small burnout. i slowly proceeded to the tree watching my tire direction and waiting for the prestage lights. I can't believe how fast the first set of lights came down, it seemed like a tenth of a second, even though i know it's longer... it was test and tune night soi had the comfort of the 3 yellow to time my launch. I launched at about 3500 rpms on the second yellow light, thought i disqualified but no red light. just before redline i power shift into 2nd, and the beautiful sound of the turbos spooling erases all the bad memories of those shrill little hondas. at the top of 2'nd gear i switch to 3'rd and the RFL bov sends a loud blast so my mustang friend now knows it might have a couple turbo's under the hood. Now the turbos are really singing, mustang man is about 4 car lengths behind and the finish line is close. I pass the line, and all i remember is how hard i had to push my brakes to stop. My hands and legs were shaking as i picked up my first time slip, gave it to my buddy and drove out of the park back home. Won my first race by about 4 car lengths (which is pretty good for a 1/8 mile track) i got 8.6 seconds, don't remember what else, but i remember the .1 reaction time and at that time i was really proud of it. Overall a great memorable race, and i got it on video in my car, HMP was letting my buddy ride with me, so he recorded it and i have lost it somewhere in my house lol. one of my fondest memories though, and i'm sure you guys have had some great first races, i would be interested to hear them.
    2014 Civic SI ( wifes DD)
    1980 Corvette (350 sbc project)
    2005 Corvette , My dd slowly getting faster at FIST

King-Ding-A-Ling Post Junkie Boost_it's Avatar
    I told Dom I could take him and laid my car on the line.. sadly he made it clear I wasn't double clutching like I should and he got me at the very end.

If only my manifold bolts had held out.

:P

Boost_it, ask any racer... any real racer... it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or by a mile, winning is winning.

A Force Fed Product... Speed Demon Evo_This's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbacinboy View Post
    boost_it, ask any racer... Any real racer... It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or by a mile, winning is winning.
    ^lmao!

HTown-DSM.com Member Post Junkie 96gsxdave's Avatar
    What are you doing in Alberta Canada?

scouting an oil rig, fighting bears, running from rig security, driving a tank around all day.... you name it. really just scouting an oil rig, trying
    to make some money

HTown-DSM.com Member Post Junkie 96gsxdave's Avatar
    I will be in Fort McMurray Alberta Canada sometime next summer. I will be working for Suncor oil refinery. Not looking forward to the cold

Built, Not Bought. Super Saiyan Post Whore GSX_TC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost_it View Post
    I told Dom I could take him and laid my car on the line.. sadly he made it clear I wasn't double clutching like I should and he got me at the very end.

If only my manifold welds had held out.

:P
    Fixy for you
    -Mike Valencia

91 Eclipse GSX -Cindy-(Track Car)
    90 Eclipse GST -Kerri-(Daily Driver)
    91 Galant VR4 -Samara- #550/2000 (Daily Driver)
    www.Facebook.com/GSXTC

King-Ding-A-Ling Post Junkie Boost_it's Avatar
    No way bro.. I video taped my race.. check out the washers from all the bolts on my floorboard at 1:39!

Built, Not Bought. Super Saiyan Post Whore GSX_TC's Avatar
    Lolz
    -Mike Valencia

91 Eclipse GSX -Cindy-(Track Car)
    90 Eclipse GST -Kerri-(Daily Driver)
    91 Galant VR4 -Samara- #550/2000 (Daily Driver)
    www.Facebook.com/GSXTC

Someday Ill be in TX Speed Demon Scrapy's Avatar
    I was 17. I had my 1996 Eclipse GS with nothing but a CAI and altezzas . I was in a club called "Chrome-n-Motion" even though I did not have chrome rims. I met a mustang guy in the club and we became buds, aka he was my alcohol getter for me..er. He had a sprayed Mustang and his friend had a sprayed/built Bullit Mustang. Well we all went up to the main 1/4 mile here in ATL so the Bullit could get some passes in. They showed me some tips and tricks to launching etc and decided what the hell, who not?
    So I pay for the tech card, go through tech and wait forever in staging.
    I get paired up with an 02 V6 mustang that still had the dealer tags on it. I was so effing nervous my foot was shaking on the clutch pedal. I held it at 4k and dumped the clutch also on the 2nd yellow as my friends had instructed..005 Reaction time! NO LIE. Needless to say I ran a 16.4 @ 86 mph. My friends said as we were nearing the end of the track everyone was actually still watching (You know, most people turn back to watch burnout after the 1/8th) and cheered when I won. He ran a 16.6

At the end of the track I remember hitting the brake real hard and my foot shaking so bad... still that I was practically pumping the brakes.

I will say my most admirable loss was in my GSX a few years back. I was up against a guy who was paralysed from the waist down in a car accident, he accelerated and braked with the lever thing they have for handicapped equipped vehicles. He killed me but all I could do was go up to him afterward and shake his hand for not giving up his passion because he couldnt use his legs. Oh he was in a Firebird.
    Michael
    -90 GSX- "The Mutt" 13.0@108... RIP
    -90 GSX - "The Whore" - Almost done!
    -01 Dakota- Daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
    I'll take a look at it and measure it tonight when I get home but I believe it still has plenty of meat on it...

at 16 my first car was a 1973 beetle, 4 on the floor, thankfully from there i upgraded to a v6 mustang, then a 1987 turbo ii rx-7. i drove my moms minivan for like 4 months before i got my car, and every time i got on i-45 it was WOT hot action lol