Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My adventures with Ecuflash and Evoscan

Kay Me Call Injure Near? Bench Racer
    Got the radiator in and have yet to even hear the fans kick on. It wasn't super hot today but, I expected to at least hear the fans

Drove the car to school ... put about 60 or so miles on it. I turned the w/g dc down to 68%. I am going to turn it down to 40% or so and see if it actually does anything. If not, I will stick the greddy bc back in :/
    API 45.6, 4.0cP @ 78F ... and it's purple

No dice on boost control :/ I just stuck a mbc in last night.

I do not recommend Ceddymods. The guy accepts donations for development of his software but, no longer supports it. He has done a lot for the dsm community but, it's not right to tell people you are going to do something, accept money from them and not deliver.

No real updates other than I burned a hole in the feed line to the turbo ... the line was directly under the wastegate dump. The car is sitting right at 18psi. It doesn't really start to pull until around 5k. It isn't fully spooled until a little over 3k. I'm wondering if I need to stick some timing in it. I have gotten very little knock and it's not consistent so, I feel I could increase timing with no ill effects. 7bolt block with a ported to hell 1st gen head, fp2's (the milder pair), stock i/m and a 2g throttle body (I already know) ... still on the 16g (evo3).

Do the wastegate dumps actually make a difference? I have heard mixed reviews about them. Tran told me not to mess with it because they were getting crazy boost creep from an evo at the shop. But, I have also been told they can help stop boost creep. The only reason it's even on the car is because it was given to me.

ADVICE???

King-Ding-A-Ling Post Junkie Boost_it's Avatar
    I am not really very knowledgeable on the tuning side of things yet as I am just getting into ECMlink. Though I am going with an external dump to avoid boost creep, so I'm curious if the Evo is having more of a port issue. I know I had BAD boost creep on my small 16g when I was internal so I am trying to avoid that problem this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Boost_it View Post
    I am not really very knowledgeable on the tuning side of things yet as I am just getting into ECMlink. Though I am going with an external dump to avoid boost creep, so I'm curious if the Evo is having more of a port issue. I know I had BAD boost creep on my small 16g when I was internal so I am trying to avoid that problem this time around.
    Baller LOL I'm too poor for ECMlink right now. I may actually switch to an evo8 computer if I can find a good deal on one in the near future. After I graduate, it's gonna be game on The external dump seems to have stopped boost creep. I know for a fact when the car had a completely stock longblock, boost would peg 15, then creep to 18 or so. I am wondering how the car would act if I stuck a ported evo3 o2 back on it. I may do a little testing when I get more time. I personally don't like the o2 dump, it's obnoxious and draws a lot of un-needed attention for a street car.

WoW
    I graduated college, sold all my honda's, been through a lq4 single cab and a ls3 single cab. Then I bought something fancy ... '13 CTSV w/ 700whp. A low 10sec 4dr car that has seat coolers WTF?

About a week after my last post, I lost all faith. I thought the lower end was knocking and stuck it back in the garage. Say what you want but, I rebuilt the motor twice and was a broke college student. Talk about having your sails completely deflated.

Last weekend, I drained the oil and filtered it. Then I pulled the filter and filtered it ... ran a magnet around in the oil and didn't find anything. A buddy stopped by and we washed it, then pulled the turbo system off because I was pretty sure there was an exhaust leak. Needless to say, I found the rod knock ... about a 4" crack in the aftermarket o2 housing.

I need a bunch of gaskets and I'll pick up some exhaust manifold studs. The clutch pedal goes to the floor and it needs a battery. Need need need.

It's a lot different now because I actually have a steady job, I'll post some pictures this evening and probably make a new thread. At least now, if something happens, I'll be able to fix it a little quicker LOL

Alright guys, so I am slowly picking up momentum again.

About 2 weeks ago I picked up a donor car.

I paid $1000 for it. I just wanted the drivetrain to swap on the GST. The owner told me it had a "built" motor. I really didn't care about that as long as it had all the components to do the conversion on my car.

The motor looked really rough so I didn't expect much. Lets see what this ole girl has.

The inside of the head was really clean. I could see some type of aftermarket cams with stock valve train. Then I noticed stock head bolts. Took the head off only to find a composite head gasket :/ and Wiseco pistons. Maybe the lower end was built????

6 bolt long block ... flywheel and clutch. Someone spent a little money on this thing.

Transfer case threads were stripped out.

LOTS to replace.

It had a rewired stock fuel pump.

I'm almost done pulling the donor car apart. I drilled the carrier bearing saddles out last night. I need to drop the steering rack and pull the sunroof out. Then the donor car can go away!!!

I washed the GST this weekend. The sunroof leaks and the hatch has a few rust spots. :/ Old girl is getting up there in age.

If I'm going through the trouble of converting it ... I want a bulletproof drivetrain. I ordered a tubular rear subframe that retains the rear sway bar and fits a 3si pumpkin AND a tubular front subframe. More to come!!!
    Last edited by Matticus; 08-08-2017 at 12:14 PM.

F.I.S.T. Racing I Am Half Human, Half HTown-DSM.com Black Majik's Avatar
    Looks like you're making progress
    ‎"many conservatives are liberals who have been mugged by reality"