Thread: Evo8 cams in a 2g

HTown-DSM.com Member Street Racer jdm1990's Avatar

Evo8 cams in a 2g

Ok, I think I ended up finding an Evo9 crank and he has a set of Evo8/9 cams. He has no need for them and said for $5 he'll throw then in lol. I know the intake cam needs run on the 2g exhaust side because of the cam sensor. And the ends need recut to accommodate the timing gears so you can time them. My question is, does anyone know a place around Houston that can or would modify the camshafts for me? Also what would need done cam gear wise? After market? Or just get new timing lines cut into them? I'm gonna look into it a little more but some people have first hand experience or have better input so thought I'd ask. Again, any input is appriciated! Thanks in advance

Am I there yet??? Post Junkie jmarines's Avatar
    Sounds like a lot of trouble to me.. I would just buy the correct cams for your setup and be done with it.

230gr of awesomeness I Own Stock In HTown-DSM.com Boosted98GSX's Avatar
    The engine rotates the opposite direction......

This is just a dumb idea. Stop being cheap and save up for proper cams.
    Do it RIGHT or do it TWICE
    Car and Mods

People have done it. I'm not trying to take the cheap route out but if he wants to get rid of them and machining wouldn't be bad then it could possibly break about even anyways. I was just considering it asking for info. And yes, the cams are reversed on our engine. Thats why the cam position would get switched. I have read into it a bit and know for the most part what would all need done. Was just wondering about a little further input if anyone else had one point looked into the swap anAnd hae information I may have missed.

I think you need to stop for a second and realize what you're thinking of doing. There are already parts available. Why reinvent the wheel and possibly SEVERELY screw up your engine when there are drop in engineered cam profiles avail for less than $300 for a set?

Just seems like a waste of even effort to think about.
    Car and Mods

FNG Bench Racer
    Eco 9 cams are also profiled for mivec. I would stay away from them.
    '93 FZJ 80
    '92 TSi auto

Ok. You don't like the idea. Got it. Doesnt harm the motor and I reliE cams are avaliable. I think you may be missing my point. But I'll let it go.

F.I.S.T. Racing I Am Half Human, Half HTown-DSM.com Black Majik's Avatar
    still a dumb idea, but here, this will help. If you want to do something cool, use the Mivec cam.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newb...#post153201216
    ‎"many conservatives are liberals who have been mugged by reality"

Quote Originally Posted by jdm1990 View Post
    Ok. You don't like the idea. Got it. Doesnt harm the motor and I reliE cams are avaliable. I think you may be missing my point. But I'll let it go.
    Oh no, i get the idea completely. It's the same idea the t00nerz had when they tried all those chinese mfg'd turbos. "Don't knock it, it COULD work".

So could swimming through lava.
    Car and Mods

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass if it came across that way haha. But I am looking for a direct drop in cam but honestly nothing to kuch for sale. Yes, I have time ti I'm home for a suitable set to pop up and ill probably snag them when that happens. But the evos I'm basically getting free and it has been done so I just figured why not. It can work and a decent upgrade. Thanks to Mike (thank you for the link by the way!), there's a way to do it without a machine shop. So if you can adjust the gears right and make then work, then hey, cheap ass upgrade with lighter cams. Myself included with certain ideas, most people in the csr world now of days I think have a certain way of doing things and certain ideals and varying from that path makes no sense. I understand the idea that do it right or do it twice. I do, I lesrned the hard way on my last eclipse fixing other peoples fuck ups until I finally got it stable. But with this it's been proven to work so I just don't understand how its a stupid idea. Working is working in my book. And if its something different, then why not. With cars I like to experiment a little bit unless its something I feel will put all my work in vein. This I do not feel is one of those risks. Ut I will keep an eye open for cams when the money is available or a deal is available.

Now with that being said, what is a decent cam to run? Current setup is dsm link v3, gm maf (I'll probably be ordering a speed density kit tho), 2.5" exhaust/downpipe, 20g, 750 injectors I believe, aftermarket unknown manifold, vrsf short route intercooler, and evo9 crank/pistons/rods. No clue what the goal with the car is which I'm sure will determine cam size but 350-ish whp is the goal for the moment. So any input on this topic? I'm a 420 guy so not to sure what flows right with the 4g63 on certain setups. The hesd is stock as of now with just 3g lifters. Looking to pick up parts to upgrade the valve train maybe late june.

But with this it's been proven to work so I just don't understand how its a stupid idea.
    What is risked? How much effort does it take to get it to work? What is gained?

Just because something is proven to work, does not make it a good idea. You can put a 6bolt 4g63 in a 2g N/A, good idea? You can put a 420a in an Evo, is this a good idea? You can get a vasectomy at the age of 18, again, proven to work, is this a good idea?

I understand you guys don't like the idea, but the condescending remarks I feel are un-needed. Your comparing elaborate engine swaps to a swap that simply requires the cam gear to be timed at different degrees. Not really a fair comparison in my opinion. But to make everyone happy I ended up finding a decently built 6bolt head and intake mani for sale. Has FP 272 cams, bc springs, titanium valve locks, fiarra (am I spelling that right) valves, and I believe AEM adjustable cams gears. Also has gasket matched port work done. So ill be snagging that. I said the evo swap was sjust because I was having trouble finding cams for sale at the moment and they'd be a cheap upgrade for the money. For future reference tho I'll be sure not to ask about uncommon mods within the community.

HTown-DSM.com Member Lurker Brandon Mangold's Avatar
    Now with that being said, what is a decent cam to run? Current setup is dsm link v3, gm maf (I'll probably be ordering a speed density kit tho), 2.5" exhaust/downpipe, 20g, 750 injectors I believe, aftermarket unknown manifold, vrsf short route intercooler, and evo9 crank/pistons/rods. No clue what the goal with the car is which I'm sure will determine cam size but 350-ish whp is the goal for the moment. So any input on this topic? I'm a 420 guy so not to sure what flows right with the 4g63 on certain setups. The hesd is stock as of now with just 3g lifters. Looking to pick up parts to upgrade the valve train maybe late june.
    The first car I bought with my own money was a 97 N/A Talon. Loved that car. Great DD, not so great tuner cars. On the topic of the Evo cams, I think you will find over time dude that for the most part just sticking with the "cookie cutter" way of doing something is generally the best. When you get more advanced and have a garage queen you want to screw with for fun, I think that's when it may be cool to see if you can make something odd work. At least it makes for good build journal write ups. Just my 2 cents on that.

To answer your question on the cams. I've read multiple places that for almost any street setup 272/272 is the way to go. Some people advocate 264/272, some advocate 280/280 for larger turbo setups. I just took Mike's advice and I sold my BC 272/272 set and ordered a pair of Kelford 272s. Apparently the Kelfords are the cream of the crop for cams. I am going to be running an FP 68HTA w/ a 350-400 ish whp goal as well.
    98 GSX "midnight"
    68HTA|340lph|850cc|Linkv3|Tein

Yeah, I've always heard Kelford are the way to go and actually hear from a couple people that they almost ubder-rate their cams and you end up getting a bigger bang for your buck. Don't know the truth behind it or not haha. And I honestly haven't heard much about FP cams but hopefully they should work out for me :P

I understand you guys don't like the idea, but the condescending remarks I feel are un-needed. Your comparing elaborate engine swaps to a swap that simply requires the cam gear to be timed at different degrees.
    I'm not trying to be condescending, or talk down to you in any way, I apologize if it came across that way. I was going big for effect in trying to get my point across.

Brandon summed it up pretty well.

You didn't have an end goal that matched the effort for trying to re-invent the wheel. If you just needed some stock cams, anyone who had some probably would have just given them to you. IF you were doing this to try to install mivec in your head, it would have been met with more open arms.

Honestly a lot of my response was results of a shitty day here. Everyone here has always been more then willing to help. Even when I had my 2gnt so I can't hold anything against anyone. But I was just tossing the idea around and saw where you guys were coming from but whether justified or not I've always been one to experiment lmao. But with this 6bolt head popping up it should be all that I need. Just will need a good leason in tuning Dsmlink esspecially since I'm coming from a 2gnt running megasquirt to boost and Dsmlink haha. Big change.