Thread: Wheels/Tires for 1G DSM

HTown-DSM.com Member Post Junkie 91_Eagle_Talon_TSi's Avatar

Wheels/Tires for 1G DSM

Well guys my car has been coming together nicely as far as the engine goes. I am now stuck on what rims I want to buy for it. Slicks will obviously be for track use but I have a hard time deciding what rims to purchase. The car will be factory paint scheme, black over silver trim on the bottom, and I would like the rims to be either bronze or flat/satin black. I will probably go with Proxes R 888s or some other decent tires for the street, perferably in 245mm or wider. I have a few rims in particular and styles that I would like. 5 / 6 spoke with a small offset would be ideal and I would like to keep them lightweight and perferably 17". Some that I have in mind include:

5Zigen GN+ --- Bronze
    5Zigen Black Racing --- Bronze / Black
    Advan Racing RGII --- Bronze
    Advan Racing RCII --- Bronze
    Enkei RPF-1 --- Gold
    Gram Light 57s --- Gold / Bronze
    Volk/Rays TE37s --- Bronze
    Volk/Rays RE30s --- Black
    SSR Type C-RS --- Gold / Black

If you guys have any suggestions/comments on any rims or have any pictures of certain rims on a 1G DSM, I would greatly appreciate it. Also any talk relating to suspension is welcome! Thanks!
    '91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - KSport coilovers, DSMLink v2.5 blow thru GM MAF, PTE 5557, Tial Q 50mm, Godspeed FMIC w/ custom piping, B&M oil cooler, ES full bushing kit, 4 bolt rear, Walbro 255LPH, VIS CF hood, one-piece driveshaft, plus much more...

teh broken 1 Super Saiyan Post Whore talonturbotsi94's Avatar
    post a pic of your car and some of the rims so some of the guys can try and photoshop them

I'll try to post some tonight...
    '91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - KSport coilovers, DSMLink v2.5 blow thru GM MAF, PTE 5557, Tial Q 50mm, Godspeed FMIC w/ custom piping, B&M oil cooler, ES full bushing kit, 4 bolt rear, Walbro 255LPH, VIS CF hood, one-piece driveshaft, plus much more...

lame.org Super Saiyan Post Whore
    1) What's the car for?
    2) Do you mind the wheels extending past the fenders?
    3) Big brakes planned later in the future?
    4) What size tires do you want? (partially depends on answer to 2)
    5) Suspension will be dictated by your tire size selection.

Tires

Quote Originally Posted by asian312 View Post
    1) What's the car for?
    2) Do you mind the wheels extending past the fenders?
    3) Big brakes planned later in the future?
    4) What size tires do you want? (partially depends on answer to 2)
    5) Suspension will be dictated by your tire size selection.
    Answers:
    1) Street / strip
    2) No, I was planning on flaring / rolling anyways
    3) Still deciding; Baer Track kit or Brembo if available; Before end of year; 17s are a must to clear calipers
    4) IDK, like to find a good balance. What the biggest streetable tire w/o severly affecting scrub radius
    5) Already have coilovers; TEIN SS-P

I've been looking around at all the DSM forums and seems 295 is the widest that can be fitted on a DSM. I was thinking something like 245 - 265mm with the proper suspension and widebody / rolled fenders.

lame.org Super Saiyan Post Whore
    Through the collaborative thinking of the 1G racers, 17x19-27 with a 255/40/17 is the hot ticket and right up your alley. You already have accounted for the tires past the fenders, but you may not also be aware that the farther your bring the wheel out to account for tire width, the more stress you are placing on the wheel bearings. Anything to a 40 offset probably wont affect much. However a 35 or lower you should expect some increase in wear.

17x19-27 ???
    17x9 with 27 mm offset?

Don't be a dingle arm. I Want To Have HTown-DSM.com's Babies James92TSi's Avatar
    Yes that's 17x9 with +27mm offset.

'91 3000GT VR-4 Silly car, get down from there. You aren't a plane. You don't even have wings.
    '92 3000GT VR-4 Driveway lurker / future parts recipient.
    '03 G35 Sport Coupe Retains transmission and full warranty, even with VDC off!